Marine and Freshwater Biologists work mainly with sea plants and animals. Freshwater biologists work on lakes and rivers or for water companies and environmental agencies researching areas such as pollution concerns and depleted fish stocks resulting from over fishing.
Marine Rescue charities are involved with the rescue and rehabilitation of sick, injured or stranded marine animals.
Marine Careers in Aquariums involve a wide range of animal care, conservation and other positions. Most positions require at least a four-year degree in biology, zoology, or a related field, and practical knowledge and hands-on experience.
Aquarist is a popular hands-on, entry level marine careers based in an aquarium environment. It involves having responsibility for the freshwater and marine aquatic systems. The work requires a lot of cleaning as well as feeding, monitoring animal health and water quality, setting up and maintaining new exhibits, and observing the behaviour of wild animals in the aquarium to ensure that they are living in as close to natural environment as possible.
Aquarium Supervisor is responsible for managing the aquarist team and overseeing the details of daily activities. This work involves recruiting and training new employees and ensuring the work is carried out efficiently so that the animals are well cared for and that high standards of cleanliness are maintained.
Curator is responsible for designing and promoting exhibits, overseeing the daily duties of curatorial staff, training of aquarist staff and keeping accurate records. A minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in biology or a related field is required, as well as management training and experience of managing a team.
Herpetologists study and provide information about reptiles and amphibians. The work involves conducting research, observing general behaviour, conducting food supply studies and sometimes even searching for new species.
Other Aquarium careers include administration staff, such as: Assistant Director, Personnel Director, Finance Director and general office staff, veterinary team, volunteer co-ordinator, fundraising director, gift shop/facilities manager.
Covering over 70% of our planet’s total surface, the seas are somewhat of an enigma. As little as 5% of the world’s oceans have actually been explored by man and new species are discovered everyday with an estimated 75% of species yet to be discovered. Irrespective of the fact we know very little about our oceans they are incredibly important to life on earth in a number of aspects; they drive weather systems, control global temperatures based on oceanic currents and provide transport, food and habitats for its extremely diverse inhabitants.
Animal Jobs Direct course are designed in consultation with employers to enhance career and employment prospects.
Employers look for a combination of relevant training (such as one of our accredited courses) AND practical experience (many of our courses offer practical placements).