Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy
Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy Qualification
Scroll down for more information about this
Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy
Please see end of this page for 2018 and 2019 course start and end dates. The practical element for this small animal hydrotherapy course is carried out once students complete the theory aspect of the course.
This is an OFQUAL regulated qualification set at Level 4 within the RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework).
This qualification consists of 660 Guided Learning Hours
Our Animal Hydrotherapy courses are offered as online courses and this enables students to fit their studies around their other commitments. Intensive practical training is included in this course.
Distance learning gives working practitioners the opportunity to increase their level of training and education without the need for the time-consuming and costly travel and attendance at University.
This qualification offers quality practical training, with maximum training groups of 5 students at a time. This allows us to provide you with 1:1 support.
This Aim Awards Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy Qualification has been developed for any working, registered animal hydrotherapists who have completed the
ABC Awards Level 3 Diploma course in Hydrotherapy for Small Animals.
The Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy course is a regulated qualification recognised by Ofqual within the RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework). This is the only qualification of it's kind worldwide.
The Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy qualification includes a total of 5 days Practical Placement at the Witney, Oxfordshire branch of Woozelbears, an established small animal hydrotherapy centre. This centre has top of the range equipment including underwater treadmills, large bespoke pools, hydrotherapy spa and a team of highly qualified personnel.
This qualification requires 100 logged hours of practical experience in addition to the training and assessment placement that is part of this qualification.
Individuals who have taken and passed this Level 4 Award in Small Animal Hydrotherapy wishing to make an application to either Canine Therapy, Animal Therapy or Integrated Masters in Veterinary Physiotherapy at Writtle University College will be able to use this certificate to demonstrate part of the pre-entry requirements for the necessary canine experience. Writtle University College would be pleased to consider applications from students with this background.
Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy Qualification Units
Business Management in Small Animal Hydrotherapy
- Know what is meant by branding and the benefits to the organisation
- Understand how to record accounts
- Know various methods of communication in business management
- Know how to promote a company through marketing
Canine Behaviour, Body Language and Safe Handling Techniques During Hydrotherapy
- Understand canine body language when in the hydrotherapy setting
- Understand early signs of stress in canines
- Know how to reduce canine stress in relation to hydrotherapy
- Know safe canine handling techniques in relation to hydrotherapy practice
Feline Behaviour, Nutrition and Handling
- Know internal and external factors influencing feline behaviour and bonds
- Know welfare issues that occur through management of felines
- Understand common feline behaviour
- Be able to handle felines in a hydrotherapy setting
- Understand feline dietary calculations and rations based on life stage and health
Foundations of Professional Practice for Small Animal Hydrotherapy
- Understand the implications of running a hydrotherapy centre
- Understand duty of care
- Understand accurate record keeping and detailed clinical notes
Applied Small Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Know the structure of muscles
- Understand interaction between muscles and the skeleton
- Understand the forces placed on the small animal skeletal system
- Know anatomy of joints in the dog and cat
- Understand the sources and functions of major nutrients for canines
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the canine digestive system
- Know about the nutritional value, use and impact of canine food
Orthopaedic and Neurological Conditions and Surgical Procedures in Small Animals
- Understand surgical and veterinary terminology
- Know common orthopaedic conditions in small animals that can benefit from hydrotherapy treatment
- Know common neurological conditions in small animals that can benefit from hydrotherapy treatment
- Understand common surgical procedures for the common orthopaedic and neurological conditions
- Know how to manage animals with common orthopaedic and neurologic conditions
Water Management in Hydrotherapy
- Know the principles of water parameters
- Understand the principles and legal requirements of water testing
- Know microbiological tests, pollutants and pathogens
- Understand the uses of chemicals and disinfectant
- Understand back washing and cleaning procedures
Small Animal Massage Therapy
- Understand what is meant by 'small animal massage'
- Know the different types of small animal massage techniques
- Be able to apply massage techniques to small animals
- Know which Orthopaedic and Neurological conditions will benefit from massage
Small Animal Laser Therapy Treatment
- Understand the term ‘Laser therapy’
- Know about the different types of class IV Laser equipment
- Know the different types of wavelengths
- Understand small animal conditions that are suitable for Laser therapy
- Understand the health and safety responsibilities of a laser therapist dealing with canines
Introduction to Small Animal Physiotherapy
- Understand the functions of the small animal musculoskeletal system
- Know the common orthopaedic conditions that are suitable for physiotherapy
- Understand the professional duties of a physiotherapist
- Know about the different types of physiotherapy equipment
Land Based Exercise Prescription for Small Animals
- Know the principles of basic land based manual therapy
- Understand the clinical reasoning of land based manual exercise for both hydrotherapists and small animal owners
- Understand the risks and contraindications of basic land based therapy
- Know the reasons for integration and transfer of basic land based therapy with water based therapy
Advanced Pool and Treadmill Techniques for Small Animals
- Know how to use equipment used in advanced hydrotherapy pool and treadmill treatment techniques.
- Know the effectiveness of advanced hydrotherapy pool and treadmill practice on Small Animals
- Know the importance of advanced pool and treadmill techniques for the hydrotherapist.
Hydrotherapy Pool and Treadmill Maintenance, Operations and Equipment
- Understand the importance of pool and treadmill maintenance
- Understand the principles of circulation and filtration in a pool and treadmill
- Know individual components of the hydrotherapy pool and treadmill
Practical skills in Small Animal Hydrotherapy
This component allows learners to apply practical hydrotherapy pool and treadmill skills. Learners will need to have logged 100 hours practical experience in one or more hydrotherapy centres (in addition to the 5 day practical placement).
This component has 8 Standards :
1. Be able to plan for, apply and evaluate small animal class IV laser techniques
2. Be able to create hydrotherapy pool and treadmill treatment programmes
3. Understand the implementation of hydrotherapy pool and treadmill treatment programmes
4. Be able to evaluate hydrotherapy pool and treadmill programmes
5. Be able to advise clients on patients’ home care
6. Be able to carry out pool and treadmill maintenance
7. Be able to plan for, apply and evaluate massage treatment
8. Be able to effectively run a hydrotherapy centre
Qualification Start & End Dates
4 Month Fast Track Option
31/07/18 - 01/12/18
03/09/18 - 07/01/19
05/11/18 - 05/03/19
07/01/19 - 07/05/19
30/04/19 - 01/09/19
03/09/19 - 07/01/20
1 Year Option
31/07/18 - 31/07/19
03/09/18 - 03/09/19
05/11/18 - 05/11/19
07/01/19 - 07/01/20
30/04/19 - 30/04/20
03/09/19 - 03/09/20
2 Year Option
31/07/18 - 31/07/20
03/09/18 - 03/09/20
05/11/18 - 05/11/20
07/01/19 - 07/01/21
30/04/19 - 30/04/21
03/09/19 - 03/09/21
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can do the course?
This Level 4 Animal Hydrotherapy Diploma qualification is open to working, registered animal hydrotherapists who have successfully completed the ABC Awards Level 3 Diploma course in Hydrotherapy for Small Animals.
Why is this different to other hydrotherapy courses?
The Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy qualification is an Ofqual approved qualification that has been developed in conjunction with a National Awarding organisation, and therefore it is checked rigorously for content and standards, to ensure it attains national benchmarks at this level. Regular external quality assurance also ensures that this qualification continues to maintain quality and consistency.
How long do I have to complete the course?
Students must complete the course within 2 years of enrolment.
Do I have to have a practical placement to enrol on this course?
We provide this as part of the course once you have completed the theory aspects of the course. We include an intensive 5 day practical training programme.
How is the course designed, delivered and assessed?
The course consists of theory and practical training. The theory is studied online on the most up to date interactive learning platform, with tutor support to guide you through the learning and materials. The intensive practical training is carried out towards the end of your course.
I don't live in the UK, can I still enrol?
Absolutely yes, we accept international students, please contact us for more information about this.
Are there any examinations
There are no examinations but you will need to build a portfolio of evidence of your learning and understanding according to assessments set out in the course materials. Internal moderation of your portfolio is carried out by Animal Jobs Direct and then moderated externally by AIM Awards.
Study from home, at your own pace and with full tutor support. This course includes 5 days intensive practical training at Woozlebears, a well established Hydrotherapy Centre in Oxfordshire.
Frequently Asked Questions
Course Funding Information
Student Success Stories